Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tip of the Week #1

I've found that when playing gigs or extended practice sessions, sometimes my finger joints will be sore the next day. One way I've found to reduce this soreness is to tape your fingers while playing.

I tape mine like so:

The tape provides enough resistance that you can still properly grip the stick, but provides some cushion for your joints.

I use electric tape because it stays on despite the sweat and the constant drumming motion. I recommend white electric tape (any hardware store will carry it) because the black electric tape leaves sticky black residue behind.

If you are in a situation where you have played for a long time without taped fingers, and your joints are sore the following morning, I suggest taping them anyways, as the tape will act as a brace and reduce the movement of your fingers.

No comments: